Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jon's Health Tips

Ω

This is a very brief survey of the latest research. Click on links for more information on the research cited here. My Health Research Report blog also includes additional items, including a recent National Cancer Institute Report on Vitamin D And Cancer Prevention, and an interesting Consumer Reports Health Report.

I am taking less Vitamin D now that I’m out in the sun more, but that’s probably a mistake according to new research – I need to keep up 2000 units a day:

Vitamin D Promotes Mental Agility in Elders

Vitamin D deficiency common across a range of rheumatic conditions

Vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent in patients with Type 2 diabetes

My consumption of red wine is flagging a bit in the summer – I really, really prefer beer, but I will try to drink more


Lose Weight With Resveratrol?

“The physiological benefits of resveratrol are currently under intensive investigation, with recent work suggesting that it could be a good candidate for the development of obesity therapies.”

Resveratrol Neutralizes Toxicity of Proteins Related to Alzheimer's


Alcohol consumption lowers risk of developing several arthritic conditions

I continue to drink a lot of green tea:

Tea Heart Benefits

“Drinking more than six cups of tea per day was associated with a 36 percent lower risk of heart disease compared to those who drank less than one cup of tea per day. Drinking three to six cups of tea per day was associated with a 45 percent reduced risk of death from heart disease, compared to consumption of less than one cup per day."

Red wine and green tea halt prostate cancer growth

But:

Women who consume large amounts of tea (but not coffee) have increased risk of rheumatoid arthritis

I continue to eat lots of fish and fish oil supplements, which I am cheerful about:

Encouraging Results: Treating Depression With Omega-3

I eat a handful (or a little more of nuts every day:

Pecans provide neurological protection

I try to eat a Mediterranean-style diet:

Mediterranean-style diet improves heart function


I continue to try to limit my salt intake – I’ve switched to no-salt nuts and pretzels, and some canned vegetables:

Nine in 10 U.S. Adults Consume Too Much Sodium

“Most sodium in the American diet comes from processed grains such as pizza and cookies, and meats, including poultry and luncheon meats.”

I continue to avoid foods supplemented with much iron (bad for the heart)

Link between iron overload and macular degeneration


I don't drink coffee but perhaps I should:

Drinking coffee may reduce the risk of diabetes

Coffee may protect against head and neck cancers


I only need to keep a sense of humor for 5 more years:

A Sense of Humor Helps Keep You Healthy Until Retirement Age


"A sense of humor helps to keep people healthy and increases their chances of reaching retirement age. But after the age of 70, the health benefits of humor decrease."


P.S.

I recently reported on researching the benefits of alcohol consumption vs. the risks of breast cancer .

However, those risks can be cut by vigorous exercise, taking ibuprofen, and drinking coffee.

Ω

No comments: