Monday, October 11, 2010

Jon's Health Tips - Latest Health Research

I drink some calcium-supplemented OJ, and eat 3-4 yogurts a week. I will try to increase those a bit. I probably should consider taking a calcium supplement, but I take too many already:

Most women, older men, and many other people don’t get enough calcium from food.

I am going to continue to take Vitamin D – see this study:

Forty-three percent of patients scheduled to undergo orthopaedic surgery have insufficient levels of vitamin D and two out of five of those patients had levels low enough to place them at risk for metabolic bone disease.


And this review Vitamin D: Many Benefits:

I am going to continue exercise vigorously:

Vigorous exercise of more than two hours per week reduces the risk of developing breast cancer...by 64 percent.

and:

Boosting cardiovascular fitness improves sleep, vitality and mood for insomniacs.

I am going to continue to eat nuts:

Walnuts, walnut oil, improve reaction to stress:

This is the first study to show that walnuts and walnut oil reduce blood pressure during stress. Previous studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids -- like the alpha linolenic acid found in walnuts and flax seeds -- can reduce low density lipoproteins (LDL) -- bad cholesterol. These foods may also reduce c-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation, which could also reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.


I’m NOT going to cut down on my sleep – I usually get 8 hours – but I think my intense physical exercise means the extra sleep is not harmful.

The best survival was observed among women who slept 5 to 6.5 hours. Women who slept less than five hours a night or more than 6.5 hours were less likely to be alive at the 14-year follow-up.

I wish I could show this to my insurance company, who is charging me extra for life insurance because I used to snore:

Researchers uncovered other interesting findings as well. For example, among older women, obstructive sleep apnea (pauses in breathing during sleep) did not predict increased mortality risk. “Although apneas may be associated with increased mortality risk among those under 60, it does not seem to carry a risk in the older age group.


I’m still glad I take a statin:

I’m going to keep up my moderate drinking, ( especially red wine – see this review) but probably not start drinking coffee:

Tea and decaffeinated coffee showed no relation with diabetes, but the regular moderate intake of both caffeinated coffee and alcohol appeared to reduce the risk of contracting late onset diabetes significantly.


My wife won’t let me increase my garlic consumption, a smuch as I’d like to.

Garlic has "significant" potential for preventing cardiomyopathy, a form of heart disease.


Out of season blueberries cost a fortune – I will miss them:

Blueberries may help fight atherosclerosis, also known as hardening of the arteries.

If I ever go on a diet, I will try to remember to drink milk

Regardless of Diet, Study Participants Who Consumed the Most Milk Lost the Most Weight

I’m trying to eat more bananas:

Potassium Lowers Blood Pressure

I will continue to take aspirin:

Even the lowest possible dose of aspirin (75 mg) can ward off bowel cancer, if taken regularly.

And eating broccoli:

Eating broccoli could guard against arthritis

I’m drinking more cranberry juice and taking cranberry supplements – I do get UT infections:

Cranberry juice really is effective for preventing urinary tract infections

And other good foods, while avoiding “bad’ foods – see this review.

No comments: