Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Jon's Health Tips

Irony of ironies - I have been felled by a combination of health problems (beyond my control) and while suffering through them have been forced to give up almost all my regular healthy activities including, in rough order of importance, exercise, aspirin, red wine (or beer), green tea, dark chocolate, niacin, yogurt, apples, nuts, fruits and vegetables. I have been able to, for the most part, continue eating oatmeal and taking my statin with Co-enzyme-Q. I have fallen way behind in y work and in putting out this newsletter. The most srous of my conditions was caused by extensive exposure to second-hand smoke as achild. The second most serious is a problem most men of a certain age experience. The other problems, while often painful or uncomfortable, are not serious threats to my health. In fact, in fighting these problems I have largely lost my appetite, and dropped 30 pounds in the process. I doubt I will be able to keep all or even most of it off as I recover.

Anyhow, here are a few of my health notes - more to follow:


I should try drinking pomegranate juice

Pomegranate Juice Reduces Damage to Tissues, Inflammation and Infections

_
I’ll stick to red wine and apples, but do like a very occasional curry, aand will continue to avoid French fries:

Curry, Wine and Apples Fight Alzheimers


Alzheimer's Accelerated by a Chemical in Cigarette Smoke, Auto Exhaust and French Fries

I will continue to use cell phones very sparingly:

Brain Tumor Risk May Double after 10 Years of Cell Phone Use

And, in separate research, allergic reactions as well

I’m looking forward to resuming my light to moderate drinking:

Light to moderate drinking linked to fewer heart problems in male bypass patients

Regular moderate drinking among women associated with greater survival


Low dose alcohol appears to decrease risk of stroke in women.

Nothing really I can do about job strain, but until recently I mostly avoided it:

Women with high job strain have 40 percent increased risk of heart disease


I’m going to resume Vitamin D today


Vitamin D deficit doubles risk of stroke in whites, but not in blacks


I can’t wait to get back to my regular exercise (soccer) but will have to substitute until March, I’m told


Regular exercise reduces large number of health risks including dementia and some cancers

"What is clear from the research is that men and women of all ages should be encouraged to be more physically active for the sake of their long-term health."

No comments: