Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Health Practics In Question Again


My health practices have been shaken up considerably over the years, but never more so than the last few days.

First came the report that fish oil supplementation seems to increase the risk of prostate cancer, which I discussed here, noting all the benefits of fish oil.

Next came the report that light drinking may not offer health benefits after all. However, I have documented the many apparent benefits of moderate alcohol consumption here, and while this study will make me feel less guilty when I don't have a drink, I will continue moderate drinking for pleasure, and, I still believe, for health benefits.

The latest disturbing study brings into question the cardiovascular health benefits of resveratrol supplements, which I take religiously, and anti-oxidant supplements in general.

And to top it all off, an article in The Atlantic questions the values of supplements as well, particularly anti-oxidants and focuses on the dangers of vitamins A, C, E, and beta-carotene, all of which I did take but quit some time ago.

No comments: