Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jon's Health Tips - Latest Health Research

1. This is kind of weird and a little disturbing: my weekday soccer games are in the evening:

Waking later and being active later put people at greater risk of dementia

2. I like to think of my workplace as flexible:

A flexible workplace initiative improved employees' health behavior and well-being, including a rise in the amount and quality of sleep and better health management


3. This is really good news to me:

Physical Fitness Trumps Body Weight in Reducing Death Risks

4. I don't eat a whole lot of eggs, dairy, meat or soy. I'm still not worried about the quality of my protein:

Eggs, dairy and meat proteins have a score of 1.0. Soy protein is the only widely available high-quality plant-based protein that achieves this score.

5. I do eat a lot of fish (and take omega -3 supplements), fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, but no sugary drinks. I really think these apply to everyone, and if so they are good news for me as well:

In the first population-based study in women of childbearing age, those who rarely or never ate fish had 50 percent more cardiovascular problems over eight years than those who ate fish regularly. Compared to women who ate fish high in omega-3 weekly, the risk was 90 percent higher for those who rarely or never ate fish.


Eating fish reduces risk of Alzheimer's disease

Vegetables, fruits, grains reduce stroke risk in women


Study Affirms ‘Mediterranean Diet’ Improves Heart Health


Drinking two or more sugar-sweetened beverages a day may expand a woman's waistline and increase her risk of heart disease and diabetes.


6. Finally proof that I've been right to avoid this:

Snow shoveling increases heart attack risk


7. I only head a well-struck ball if I have a chance to score a goal:

Frequent 'heading' in soccer can lead to brain injury and cognitive impairment

8. Reports of BPA in canned food are disturbing to me - I lived on canned food almost exclusively for 3 years in law school, and canned soups were my daily lunch a few years ago. I continue a lifelong habit of canned vegetables as well:

Consuming canned soup linked to greatly elevated levels of the chemical BPA

Pending federal legislation authored by Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., that would ban BPA from all food and beverage containers including canned foods.


9. More good news about coffee - will I eventually succumb and start drinking it?

Coffee may protect against endometrial cancer


10. I'm in no danger of low salt intake as far as I know - if anything. it's probably still to high:

Low salt intake as bad as high


11. I've been taking L-arginine for the reasons enumerated here, and see no reason to stop:

L-arginine: fit, young, athletic men - no advantage


12. I still will emphasize red wine consumption over beer, even though I far prefer beer, but this is encouraging be to diversify a little more:

Beer could stand up alongside wine regarding positive effects on cardiovascular health.

13. Starting in January I won't have a Tuesday night soccer game any more and I haven't figured out how to replace the exercise that I know is crucial to my health (no, I won't go to a gym or jog!):

150 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity a week, which is the national guideline, provided a 65 percent improvement in sleep quality. People also said they felt less sleepy during the day, compared to those with less physical activity.


Exercise helps us to eat a healthy diet

Aerobic Fitness May Reduce Brain Aging

Mediterranean Diet and Exercise Can Reduce Sleep Apnea Symptoms

No comments: